Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Kind of Christmas

I don't make a big deal of Christmas, which may cause you to think I have a humbug problem. I don't. I'm just saddened to see how stressed folks get during holiday time. And for what?

I have abandoned all the empty rituals that have nothing to do with the spirit of Christmas. Shopping has been whittled down to a single present: a Secret Santa exchange we do as a family. I do not put up a Christmas tree or other decorations. D and I turn down most holiday party invitations.

This simplification of Christmas has been a process. There was a time when I did it all, including sending out hundreds of Christmas cards. It takes some getting used to, this counter culture adjustment. So I'm not recommending you go whole turkey, so to speak. But I'm convinced that you would be happier and calmer this Christmas if you dropped one or more of your usual holiday chores.

Thinking about all the things I don't do for Christmas, got me feeling like the Grinch on a bad day, until I noticed what I was doing when I had that thought. I was in the middle of making pizzelles. These little waffle cookies are an Italian tradition passed down to me from my grandmother. Even my mother, who was French Canadian, had to learn to make them to earn her stripes (make her bones?) in our family. I have been making them every year since I don't remember when. It's written in the DNA.

Pizzelles take all day to make. You can only cook them two or three at a time, depending on your waffle iron. It's an intense process, too. They take only a minute to cook. Without constant vigilance, they'll burn. Unlike baking a cake, you can't put them in the oven and walk away. Pizzelles are a labor of love.

So Sunday was designated pizzelle day. I started around 9am and finished at 6pm. The task spilled over to Monday morning, when I sprinkled on the powdered sugar and packaged them in cellophane and ribbon to give away to our friends over the next few weeks.

All this leads me to the conclusion that there are traditions that really matter to us. But there are probably many more things we get caught up in that we only do because we think it's expected. I suggest you try separating what really matters, from what doesn't and just do the former. For me, that's making pizzelles.

copyright 2007 starfishdoc

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Three cheers for not giving in to the consumer xmas. I feel like such a grinch at xmas as well. This year I am with you - I am going to try to find the couple xmas traditions I feel connected to and stick to those! (Thank god for online shopping - nothing is a bigger nightmare than the malls at this time of year!)

court. said...

Ah, pizzeles....

Anonymous said...

In order to simplify our holidays we started a family tradition of our Christmas Eve dinner being take out chinese food. We decorate & set the table with the good china but instead of spending hours preparing dinner & cleaning up - We spend our time enjoying each other's company and a good meal. We're always invited to many open houses and holiday gatherings Christmas eve & receive many a smirk when I say our tradition is to stay home & eat chinese - but our family wouldn't trade it for the world. Long live KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Dr. Deb said...

I also have made the holiday more simplistic, which makes the time easier to enjoy. Pizzelles are not only delicious, but they are works of art too!

Starfishdoc said...

Hurray for you Catherine. I'd love to know the traditions you discovered are the most meaningful. Happy holidays.

Starfishdoc said...

Hey Court,
Wish you were nearby to have some pizzelles! Happy holidays.

Starfishdoc said...

Mary,
Hmmm. Chinese. Sounds like a great Christmas Eve supper! I might try that sometime. Because it's D's birthday, he gets to determine the menu, and I cook. It's shepherd's pie this year.
Happy holidays.

Starfishdoc said...

Deb,
Thanks for your comment. I admire your work, and I'm honored that you have read some of my blog.