Friday, October 12, 2007

SAD, but not for long

"Oh mister sun, sun, mister shiny sun..."

It's been raining for five straight days, thunderstorms in the mix last night and today. When it is cloudy for more than three days in a row, I begin to feel down-- my own personal Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I saw only tiny glimpses of it before moving to Maine. Much as I love it here, winter is much longer and grayer than it was just a couple of states south. To add to the misery, winter is followed by a beige spring that Mainers call "mud season." And if you want to know what mud season is like, a local TV commercial compares it to having a colonoscopy. In short, plenty of dull days, colored with my least favorite crayons in the box.

"Won't you please shine down, oh won't you please shine down, oh won't you please shine down on me........"

The first time, it hit me as a really bad case of the blues. I rounded up the usual suspects looking for a reason. There was nothing I could put my finger on. That's the earmark of SAD: no apparent cause. And despite years of helping others with SAD, I couldn't see it in myself. (It was D who suggested SAD as the explanation for my melancholy. Thank you D.)

"Oh mister sun, sun, mister shiny sun, hiding behind that tree...."

I knew he was right instantly. What to do about it? I could take the advice I've given to clients many times and order a light box, but that would take days. My misery was NOW.

Well, at the same time, I was trying to set up my craft studio. I thought it would do me good to stick to my plans, despite my mood. So armed with my list of hardware needs, I headed to Home Depot. Pushing yourself to accomplish things when you're down helps.

But serendipitously, something else turned out to be the miracle I needed. Among my purchases were two four-foot workshop lights. You know, the fluorescent ones that come encased in the ugly, aluminum-waffle reflectors. I spent the afternoon hanging them from the ceiling. By evening I was working on a little project under the lights. After a couple of hours I noticed that my mood had lifted. I felt back to normal.

"This old gal is a-tellin' you, to sunshine she will ever be true...."

I was really struck by the power of bright lights to bring my mood around. Sure, there are other things that I can recommend to you to lift your mood when you're down, from vitamins to antidepressants. But I must say that the simplest, cheapest, most readily-available and quick-acting remedy I've found are bright fluorescent lights.

So now, when the days are consistently gray, you'll find me spending as much time as possible in my studio under the lights. Oh, yeah, and also singing the "Mister Sun" song Sister Benedicta taught me in third grade.

"So mister sun, sun, mister shiny sun,
Won't you please shine down, oh won't you please shine down, oh won't you please shine down on me!"

Copyright 2007 starfishdoc

5 comments:

court. said...

We've had a gloomy week in Florida, believe it or not, as well. Upon reading this post, I moved a few more lamps into the living room. It can only help, right? Thanks again!

Starfishdoc said...

Yes Court. It should help. And here's a challenge for your designing self: find me some attractive fluorescent lights to recommend to other readers.

court. said...

Consider it done:
http://bigbeigebox.blogspot.com/2007/10/its-all-in-lighting.html

Starfishdoc said...

Good for you Court. And thanks so muchfor your legwork and helpful info! And I appreciate the praise and support you've given Sanity Made Simple on your blog. BBB is really shaping up! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

This website is done creatively and masterfully. I have wondered if you have considered publishing the articles in a book or in a monthly journal. I would enjoy reading them (and sharing them) in that format since I have little time for sitting at the computer these days. Keep up the good work!
Pat Halperin, LCSW, DCSW