Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Blogging for Sanity

Since this is my first blog post, here's some background and rationale for my decision to do this.

I have 30+ years experience in the practice of psychotherapy. I have learned as much from my clients and students as from the research and study it requires to master the trade. Until now my audience has been limited to those who seek therapy with me or sign up for my courses. Now I have the perfect opportunity to share my knowledge and skills with all of you, and hear what you have to say in return.

So many problems are universal and so many solutions are simple. But because we often feel embarrassed by our problems, we keep them to ourselves. By staying isolated from others, we deny ourselves the chance to find out that we are not alone in our suffering and that there are ways to ease the pain. Here we'll be able to share solutions.

I want to talk about the "goodness-of-fit" problems - within yourself, in your relationships with partner, family, friends. Work stresses, role stresses. Those things that make us feel off-balance and slightly insane.

I want to talk with you about "seeing through" the cultural garbage that clogs up our functioning in life. (Do you really need to own an iPhone the day it comes out, or ever? Who made it up that chartreuse is THE color this spring?)

I want to talk about communication - one of the most complicated things we do every day. There are very few of us who do it well, mostly because we don't understand all its facets. And if we have the knowledge, there's not much evidence that we practice it.

Some other things I'll talk about? Life as an introvert, how to parent teenagers (or handle your parents if you happen to be a teen), movies and books that offer some insights into sanity. Some of the brilliant theorists who have influenced my work and are making a mark on living sanely in an insane world. And finally, perspectives on life viewed from my own little "Walden."

Copyright 2007, starfishdoc

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good! I'll be looking forward to more entries!

Anonymous said...

From a true Maine-iac--

Great idea ... beautiful quilt-- I'd love to hear the other metaphors...

Starfishdoc said...

Thanks Maine Poet and Main-iac! So many metaphors, so little time. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really great idea to have this blog. I also think you are a very good blogger and I really mean that. I haven't done much blogging myslef but I do read some of my friend's blogs and rosie's who's I love.
I am putting all my thoughts from all the blogs into this one . Hope you don't mind.
I think your quilts are very lovely too. I always like reading and hearing things about it never being to late to do the things you are interested in and love. I look forward to reading more.

Starfishdoc said...

Hi Punk Kitty,
Your opinions mean so much to me. I'm glad you think the blog is a good idea. I will try to live up to your view of me as a 'very good blogger.' And yes, I am an absolute firm believer in "it's never too late." Thanks for the compliments on my quilts. Hopefully, I will get better at quilting and blogging at the same time. Maybe I should continue to show pictures of my quilts as I complete them. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Yes I would like to see your quilts.