Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Quilt Lessons, Part 1




I spent the weekend taking classes at the annual Maine Quilt Show. I went last year as a casual observer and got hooked right then and there. I've been a quilt junkie ever since.

Like anyone who takes up a new endeavor later in life, I feel a certain envy for those who have been quilting for many years. I know I'll never reach their level of competence: there's simply not enough time left! But despite my late start, I'm content to learn as much as I can, enjoy the process, and satisfy myself by surpassing my personal best.
Above is a picture of my very first quilt.

Age (nor anything else) has ever stopped me from pursuing something new, no matter the perceived degree of difficulty. Other things I've started well past 40: earning a Ph.D., teaching myself to play the accordion (I see you wincing), rug-braiding, and studying Italian.

So why am I making such a big deal over this? Well, because I'm tired of conversations like this.

CLIENT: I'm bored with life.
ME: Do you have any creative pursuits?
CLIENT: Well, I play the guitar but I'm not very good.
ME: When did you last play it?
CLIENT: Two years ago.
ME: Why so long?
CLIENT: I just don't think I have any talent.

It has been said by many others more clever than me that becoming accomplished at something has very little to do with talent. It has everything to do with sweat and putting in the time. Anyone who hasn't pursued something really hard is losing out on experiencing that deep satisfaction that can only come through self-challenge.

The fear of failure keeps most people from even getting started. We hear those little I'll-never-be-good-enough voices, and we give up before we start.

So, take a tip from me. Invest yourself in doing something really hard. If you can't get over the fear of failure, here's a suggestion from Benjamin Zander, conductor of the Boston Philharmonic: start out by giving yourself an A. Now that you don't have to worry about the grade, you can drop into the groove of possibility.




Here's a picture of my most recent quilt.
I give myself an A.


Copyright 2007, starfishdoc

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right on. So many people are afraid to start anything new or out of their comfort zone because of fear of failure. Ego Ego Ego. I would have to say you gain just as much from trying something, giving it your all and failing - as you do from trying and succeeding!

Unknown said...

I give you an A plus! That is one beautiful quilt.

Starfishdoc said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for your comments. Check in again tomorrow or Friday. The next upcoming post is in a similar vein.

Starfishdoc said...

Katie,
Thanks for bumping up my grade! I'm very grateful for your comment and pleased that you like the quilt.

Anonymous said...

Why are we programmed with the notion that we're out of time before we've even started things such as a new career, quilting, music, etc.

If that doesn't give you anxiety, I don't know what will!

Thank you for the reminder to just "do" first and think later.

Starfishdoc said...

Anonymous,
I like your "do first" spirit! I'm all for that. And I appreciate your point about time. I don't ever feel out of time, but I do feel that it's precious.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the first comment....you gain as much from trying and failing as you do from trying and succeeding.....it's all in the experiencing!!!!

Starfishdoc said...

Thanks, Ananymous. I agree that the experience is what's important - and gratifying.

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Learning new things is what life is all about.

I began riding horses at the ripe old age of 37, now that I am 40 I cannot imagine life without my horses.

I plan on learing to surf one day soon.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that is a beautiful quilt. You are so very talented.

Starfishdoc said...

Michelle,
Great to hear from you and thanks for your responses. Surfing, huh? You go girl! And good for you starting horsebackriding so recently.