Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Loss of Innocence

I just finished listening to a friend's tragic story of being fired after someone made a spurious and false accusation of wrongdoing against her. The details of her story are not mine to tell. Nor are they important to this piece, which is about what happens to the life of an innocent person who has been unjustly accused.

Here are just a few of the damaging and long term effects. The psychological impact includes despair, self-doubt, ruminations, withdrawal, shame and embarrassment. Physical manifestations include sleeplessness, loss of appetite, deterioration in self-care, loss of concentration, and other health changes, like elevated blood pressure. There are social changes too. People start treating you differently. You begin to notice them withdrawing as if you were contagious. People avoid you out of a suspicion that the allegations may be true. The quality of previously healthy relationships turns sour. The social institutions assigned to investigate such allegations, in their attempt to remain impartial, treat you no differently than someone who is guilty.

Worst of all, I think, is leading a double life. By that I mean having this catastrophic experience going on inside while you try to pretend that everything is fine on the outside. The answer to the simple question, "How are you?" becomes a lie, "I'm fine." And the wheels of justice take so long. The time between accusation and exoneration is months, even years. And by the time exoneration comes, all the damage described above is done. Your reputation, your finances, your well-being, all compromised.

I wish there were a way to stop accusers from making false claims so easily, because once an accusation is out it has a life of its own. And let's be honest. When we hear an accusation about someone else, we may say "innocent until proven guilty," but secretly we may feel, "where there's smoke there's fire."

I have heard stories like this many times, because a therapist's office is one of the safe places to talk about such things. You have no idea how many people are carrying around stories of false accusations, but are too ashamed to tell. This experience is so serious, and, I believe, so widespread, that I thought it deserved a name. I'm calling it, "post-traumatic sucker-punch syndrome." I know my friend will never be quite the same.

Copyright 2007 starfishdoc

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sucker Punch Syndrome, indeed.
There is no explanation for the "cowardice" of a false accusation. Nor an explanataion for "why bad things happen to good people".

There is this: often times friends and loved ones are suffering along with the falsly accused. They too are peripheral victims. If they appear remote it MAY be the sense of helplessness.

Thank you for the heartfelt blog. May it find its way to some false accusers to reveal the implications of their actions.

Starfishdoc said...

Jeanne,
Thank you for these comments. I'm glad you added the dimension of the peripheral victims. I bet lots of readers will identify with that.

Unknown said...

I agree with Jeanne. The purveyor of false allegations harms not only the 'target' of their false allegations, but the Family and friends of the person as well. Most of us try to manage those parts of life over which we have some influence, recognizing that some elements are just out of our hands. This alone seems like a big enough challenge that there is little room or energy leftover to respond to false allegations that are made by individuals for their selfish motives. If my angry and resentful feelings could step-aside a bit, I would be able to pity these individuals and their pathetic actions.

Starfishdoc said...

You're right, David. Life is complicated enough for us to manage without other human beings making things worse. I too will muster the pity. Someday.

Anonymous said...

Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; ’t is something, nothing;
’T was mine, ’t is his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
Othello. Act iii. Sc. 3.

Starfishdoc said...

Dear Anonymous,
Wouldn't you know that Shakespeare would have something to say about this. Thank you for sending the quote. Makes me wonder if you have been through something like this yourself, having the quote ready at hand. If so, my heart goes out to you. Tell us more if you care to.

Anonymous said...

I have been effected by this and it hurts and is unfair...I can't say more because it does hurt so much...

Starfishdoc said...

Dear Anonymous,
I know for sure that keeping it inside doesn't help. If you want to talk more privately, send me an email. I'm a good listener.