Friday, August 31, 2007

Really Big Birthdays

I just had one of those Really Big Birthdays. You know, the kind that ends in a Zero. (Sorry, you'll have to do the math.)

I kept it pretty much a secret, because as an introvert, the last thing I wanted was a party. And a surprise party would be the worst.

No, what I wanted was a quiet time doing my favorite things with close friends. And I got what I asked for.

My two best friends drove five hours to spend the weekend with us. We spent most of our time settin' on the front porch solving the world's problems as well as our own. One of the things that makes us best friends is we don't mind listening to stories over again that we've told each other before. (Is that helping you with the math?)

We also had a wonderful dinner at a local bistro where we know the owners by name and they treat us like family. We toasted the occasion many, many times!

And the weekend was not without its excitement. After dinner we had to do catch and release on a bat that was performing acrobatics in our living room.

So what's this post really about? Two things. Really Big Birthdays and Introversion. And how the two go together.

When I was about eight months pregnant with my second child, I told my family that I absolutely did not want a baby shower. Despite their attempts to heed my request, one friend insisted. Worst of all, it was a surprise shower.

Introverts hate surprises. Introverts hate being in the limelight. I mean, really hate it, as in rather spend the day cleaning toilets.

Imagine my misery walking into a room full of people shouting "surprise!" and focusing all their attention on me! And I was in fact not surprised.

That's another thing about introverts. We are keen observers who rarely miss the subtle cues around us, such as someone talking a little too softly on the phone. So, I was not only miserable about going to the party, but now I felt the obligation to act surprised so my friend wouldn't be disappointed.

So, thanks to those who honored my desire for a quiet birthday, especially those who wanted to throw me a party but knew better. What finer gift than to be accepted and understood? What could feel more like love?

Moral of the story: if you want to help someone celebrate a special occasion, stop and walk around in their loafers. Especially if they are introverts. Help them celebrate in the way they would most desire it, not the way you think it should be done. They'll really be grateful.

Copyright 2007 starfishdoc

7 comments:

sinth said...

nice blog! i love your flow of writing ~ clear and refreshing.

Starfishdoc said...

Thank you thinker-girl! Clear and refreshing is just what I'm after.
I looked at your site. Very nice!
I especially liked reading about the cereal and the raisins. Very orderly! Come back often. Love to have your ongoing responses.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just had a pretty big birthday, no one gave me a party, noone ever gives me a party, just call me eyore, "Thanks for noticin' me". This is not a good day. Anyway I am an introvert, too. sometimes the introverts need a "little" push. Because sometimes we see something we would never have seen otherwise, we are keen observers. So happy birthday, Stardoc, many happy returns! Pammi

Starfishdoc said...

Hi Pammi,

You sound sad about not getting a party or being noticed. So here's my "Happy Birthday To You!"

Isn't it true that we introverts want to be noticed, but only a little bit?

And thanks for the birthday wishes expressed toward me.

Let's talk again soon.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I am so happy to hear that you had a pleasant birthday and enjoyed the type of celebration that you prefer.

I very recently celebrated my 41'st birthday and though I do enjoy parties very much, we had a wonderful evening at home enjoying a Hawaiian tiki feast for two.

Michelle

Starfishdoc said...

Hey there Michelle,

thanks for the birthday wishes and same to you! That tiki feast sounds very nice indeed.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday !Yours is the day after my grandmother's.I liked reading your post.It's a good reminder to be aware of the personalities of the people you care about and respect them.Also like one of the other posts I never get suprise parties and never have...it would be nice sometimes to feel special....