Friday, September 14, 2007

Blessings Come When You're Not Looking


I've been braiding rugs for our log home ever since meeting my braiding teacher at the 2005 Common Ground Fair. (Yes, that was the same day I took the mushroom class that turned me into a forager.)

This picture is a sample of my work. Like two lovers, rugs and quilts compete for my creative time and attention.

One morning last December, I was surfing cyberspace looking for rug wool. Wool has been replaced by synthetics in recent decades making it more expensive and increasingly difficult to find.

This particular day, I stumbled upon a Yahoo group for rug braiders. (Who knew?) A new post had just come in. It was from a widower whose wife had been a rug braider. He was looking for a local braider to give his wife's stash of wool to. (I know, don't end with a preposition.)

The operative word here is "give." With wool increasing scarce, "give" is not a word commonly associated with it. And seeing as how he lives in the Midwest, I did not even faintly resemble "local." So I wrote and offered to buy his wife's stash as well as pay for postage.

A deluge of Yahoo responses followed from other wool-starved braiders. I suspect he was overwhelmed by the numbers, since he posted a message to all saying he'd think about our letters and get back to a lucky recipient. (Sounds like the dating game, doesn't it?) Ever the loser in any game of chance, I forgot all about it.

Then in March an email arrived. The name of the sender did not ring a bell, but as I read the message I recalled the widower with the stash. He made a proposition (not that kind). He asked if I would finish a rug his wife had not completed in exchange for a box of her wool. He further offered to send the remainder of her stash once the rug was returned to him. I accepted.

A week or so later, a very large box arrived, containing beautiful wool in assorted colors, and Meg's (not her real name) little rug, with one unattached round of braid. That weekend, during a Nor'easter, I sat and butted that final round onto Meg's little masterpiece. Anyone who has ever finished or repaired the handiwork of someone whose creation has outlived them, knows what a spiritual experience this can be. Here's a picture of Meg's rug completed.

I returned the rug to the sender and as promised, two more cartons of wool arrived in a couple of weeks. What had I done to deserve such riches? How does someone take such a leap of faith to send a precious artifact and valuable goods across miles to a perfect stranger? And why did he choose me from all the respondents?

He told me he visited my website where he read my statement about placing a high value on creativity as a source of mental health. That made the difference.

So what's the point of this story? First, isn't it amazing that people interested in one of the earliest American crafts are using such seemingly contrary modern technology to find one another? And isn't it fascinating that you can put out some aspect of yourself not knowing how or when someone else will resonate with it?

So, maybe the lesson here is: allow yourself to be known to others. Let them know how you think and what you feel, and most importantly what you believe in. They will do the rest.

Copyright starfishdoc 2007

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Star Doc..I like that name as I have another favorite and related nickname for you. The reason you were the lucky one is because what goes around comes around, I do believe that. And you have dedicated your life to mending and braiding together unfinished souls. You are a mentor to the rest of us who can only hope to do as much. Go to it, Obi. Pammi

Starfishdoc said...

Pammi,
This is one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. Thanks for your high opinion: hope I continue to live up to it.
Obi

Liz said...

Dr. Starfish - what a beautiful story! I, too, am trying to help myself by being creative - right now knitting is at the top of my list but I am really drawn to making rugs....What a wonderful gift that you were able to give to that woman's husband.
Liz

Starfishdoc said...

Dear Liz,
Thanks for your kind words. I'm so happy to hear you're getting involved in creative pursuits. If you come to Maine, I'll teach you to braid!

Jenna said...

I have to agree with Pammi. Who could possibly be more deserving and capable? Not to mention that you've given him a precious gift, simple though the task may have been, that he will cherish forever. I admire you, and the never ending fashion with which you share your knowledge and beliefs with others. Where would we be without you?
-Boo

Starfishdoc said...

Dear Boo,
Your words bring tears of joy to my eyes. What a gift it is to be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Liz said...

Actually, I am trying braiding but having a heck of a time with those braid aids - which way do you put in the fabric??!
Liz

Starfishdoc said...

Hi Liz,
LOL! Ah, just one more example of needing to know which way something goes to be successful! Many braiders find braid aids just get in the way. But here's how. You slide the fabric in as an upside down U at the fat end of the braid aid, and it should come out curled into the correct fold on the small end. The braid aid becomes a hassle each time you add another strip, though. Try manipulating the wool with just your fingers. Another thing you can do is iron the wool into the necessary folds.
Can't believe I'm giving braiding instructions on a blog about sanity! Seems a little insane to me! But at least we're having some fun, right?

Liz said...

Well, at least now I'm semi-sane when trying to braid!! I think I'm going to put this new craft on hold until after the holidays. A better way to stay sane. Thanks so much for the tips!
liz

Starfishdoc said...

Liz,
You are most welcome for the tips! More importantly, thank you for being a loyal reader.

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Starfishdoc said...

Randilyn,

Thanks for your positive reaction. I'm curious, though: is it the rugs you like or the post?