Sunday, September 30, 2007

September Blessings

It's the end of the month, and I'm sitting here paying bills. It's a chore I neither like nor one that leaves many pennies in the bank. Hence my mood is less than charming.

So I've been trying to think of an antidote for the misery it brings, and I think I've come up with something really great. I'm counting my September blessings while I pay my September bills! Brilliant, huh?

I'm not talking about those global blessings, like my children, my home, my health. Although those are blessings of the highest caliber, counting them becomes a cliche. Rather, I'm recalling the things that happened just this month that made the month sparkle. How easy it is to forget them in the misery of the moment.

So here are my September blessings.

1. Touring a great landmark, the Portland Observatory. This is an historic site that looks like a lighthouse but isn't. And I made my way to the top for a quick view of the panorama below. Quick because I have a dreadful fear of heights. (Yes, I have my little closet insanities, just like you.)

2. Moody Pond Day. So named for spending a leisurely Sunday with good friends Emily, George, and Sarah, -- just canoeing and kicking back. Later we ate "Dave's famous" hamburgers, followed by apple pie (made straight after picking at Bailey's orchard) topped with home made vanilla ice cream.

3. The Common Ground Fair, where I alway have fun and learn something new.

4. 90-degree weather. This is especially to be celebrated when we know what's in store in just a couple of months.

5. Two new requests to teach: one of my favorite things to do.

6. Foraging with Jerry and introducing Fran to rug braiding and plaiting.

7. Meeting Kathy: quilt diva extraordinaire.

8. A watsu from Emily. Awesome!

9. And best of all, meeting my new "grandchild." Say hello to Kallie.


Copyright 2007 starfishdoc

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I just moved to a new city and settling in, finding a new job, etc. is overwhelming. It's easy to fall into a negative rut. I'm going to start listing my little 'blessings' this month to stay positive. Thanks, starfishdoc!

Starfishdoc said...

You're welcome, Court. Good luck with the settling in. let me know how blessing counting works for you!

Jenna said...

You always know how to look at the right side of things. Thanks for teaching us how to keep our heads up :)

Unknown said...

What is life but a series of the little things? Those blessing you just named.

The sacred lies in the ordinary.

Jenna said...

Oh, and what an ADORABLE, well mannered puppy! She must have a wonderful grandmother ;)

Starfishdoc said...

Jenna, thanks for believing in me. And Catherine, the sacred in the ordinary - words to live by. As for the adorable puppy, I think it's good PARENTS that she has.

j tana ford said...

As for Kallie, puppy-of-the-year, clearly it is her older brother BAILEY and her AUNTIE-T that make the difference. ha. She's getting so big!

Starfishdoc said...

Well, then Auntie T, you and Bailey just keep doing what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

aawwwwwwwwww so cute....

Starfishdoc said...

Hi punk kitty,
Yes, isn't she cute? Maybe some dogs, puppies anyway, are as adorable as cats. What do you think?

kathy said...

you're very sweet, about as sweet as this little face! I challenge anyone to walk up to this puppy and not go "ooooooohhhhh!!!!"

Starfishdoc said...

Hey Kathy!
Yes, September was a nice month. What could say that better than Kallie's face?